check_openmanage showing 0 logical drives with OMSA 6.4 and PERC4

Steve Jenkins stevejenkins at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 06:43:14 CET 2011

I've been using Trond Amundsen's awesome check_openmanage script to
babysit a dozen or so full of various Dell PowerEdges - all the way
from x550s to x950s (thanks, Trond!)

After upgrading three of the 1850s to Dell OMSA 6.4 today, I noticed
something strange. The three of them now display in Nagios:

OK - System: 'PowerEdge 1850', SN: 'XXXXXXXX', 3 GB ram (6 dimms), 0
logical drives, 2 physical drives

OK - System: 'PowerEdge 1850', SN: 'XXXXXXX', 12 GB ram (6 dimms), 0
logical drives, 2 physical drives

OK - System: 'PowerEdge 1850', SN: 'XXXXXXX', 4 GB ram (6 dimms), 0
logical drives, 2 physical drives

All three display 0 logical drives, even though they all have a
working RAID array.

All three of these boxes are running the 32-bit version of OMSA 6.4,
even though two of them are 64-bit CentOS systems. I had to run the
32-bit version of OMSA 6.4 because the 64-bit version won't see the
PERC 4 controller.

For comparison, I have a 2950 running OMSA 6.4 that's showing:

OK - System: 'PowerEdge 2950', SN: 'XXXXXXX', 16 GB ram (8 dimms), 1
logical drives, 2 physical drives

So I know that OMSA 6.4 is passing the appropriate info the
check_openmanage in that case.

The debug output on the 1850s shows :

# ./check_openmanage -d
   System:      PowerEdge 1850           OMSA version:    6.4.0
   ServiceTag:  XXXXXXX                  Plugin version:  3.6.4
   BIOS/date:   A07 04/25/2008           Checking mode:   local
   Storage Components
  STATE  |    ID    |  MESSAGE TEXT
---------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------
      OK |        0 | Controller 0 [PERC 4e/Si] is Ready
      OK |    0:0:0 | Physical Disk 0:0 [SCSI-HDD 37GB] on ctrl 0 is Online
      OK |    0:0:1 | Physical Disk 0:1 [SCSI-HDD 36GB] on ctrl 0 is Online
      OK |      0:0 | Cache Battery 0 in controller 0 is Ready
      OK |      0:0 | Connector 0 [SCSI Channel RAID Mode] on
controller 0 is Ready
      OK |      0:0 | Enclosure 0:0 [Backplane] on controller 0 is Ready

Which is clearly missing the "Logical Drive" output that does appear
on the 2950 running OMSA 6.4, which is:

 OK |      0:0 | Logical Drive '/dev/sda' [RAID-1, 67.75 GB] is Ready

The strange part is that OMSA 6.4 on the 1850s is clearly aware that
there's a logical drive, because the GUI shows "Virtual Disk 0 RAID-1"
in the Storage Dashboard.

I'm pretty certain that all three of these 1850s used to report 1
logical drive under OMSA 6.3, so I'm thinking that some combination of
OMSA 6.4 and the PERC 4 isn't giving enough info to check_openmanage
for it to know that the logical drive is there. The OMSA 6.4 GUI is
getting the message somehow, but check_openmanage isn't.

I'm happy to provide any other output to help debug.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

SteveJ