CHECK_NRPE: No output returned with check_iptables.sh script

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Mon Jan 17 22:23:38 CET 2011

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> Thanks for your reply. Regarding your questions:
>

>>> Have you tried enabling the debugging on the nrpe client and see what
>>> the output is when you manually trigger the check ?
>>>

> I have enabled debugging on the client, and there were no error messages listed
> in /var/log/messages file.
>

>>> Have you tried running the check manually as the nagios user ? what
>>> output did you get ?
>>>

> I have run the check manually, and the output appears to be correct.
>

>>> what are the return codes that you implemented in the iptables test
>>> script , and what output is sent beside the return codes?
>>>

> I have not implemented any return codes in the test script.

When you run it manually - how do you do it ? check_nrpe -H <host> -c
check_iptables from the nagios server ? or local on the client ?

If you have not put in return codes how do you expect nagios to know
what was the exit status of the script ? how will it know if it finished
running or failed - those are not covered from NRPE but determined in
the plugin.

Assaf