CHECK_NRPE: No output returned with check_iptables.sh script

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Mon Jan 17 19:01:39 CET 2011

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there --
>
> I am running the check_iptables.sh script on one of our clients, and
> while the script presents output whenever it is
> manually run on the server with the firewall, this output is not being
> transmitted to the Nagios server. The error message
>
> that I am encountering is the following:
>
> CHECK_NRPE: No output returned from daemon.
>
> The check_iptables.sh script is located in the
> /usr/local/nagios/libxec directory, and has been added as a definition to
>
> the /usr/local/nagios/etc/commands.cfg file with the syntax shown below:
>
> # 'check_iptables.sh' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    check_iptables
>         command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_iptables.sh
>         }
>
> The definition for check on the Nagios server has been added to the
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/services.cfg file
> with the following:
>
> # Service definition
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ; Name
> of service template to use
>
>         host_name                       <hostame>
>         service_description             Check IP Tables
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    workhours
>         max_check_attempts              4
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                  linux-admins
>         notification_interval           960
>         notification_period             workhours
>         check_command                   check_nrpe!check_iptables
>         }
>
> The check_iptables.sh script has been added to the
> /usr/local/nrpe/libexec directory on the client, and the definition
> of the check shown below is included in the client's nrpe.cfg file:
>
> command[check_iptables]=/usr/local/nrpe/libexec/check_iptables.sh
>
> The client system is situated outside the company filewall in a DMZ,
> and connections are made through the firewall
> via an SSH connection. There are several other services that are
> monitored by the Nagios server, and the output from
> their respective chceks are getting through to the Nagios server.
>
> The NRPE client is version 2.6, while the Nagios server is running the
> 3.1.2 release. I checked the nagios.log and
> messages log files, but I did not see any errors relating to the
> script. What other step(s) do I need to take in order
> for the output that is generated on the client be transmitted to the
> server? Thanks.

Have you tried enabling the debugging on the nrpe client and see what
the output is when you manually trigger the check ?
Have you tried running the check manually as the nagios user ? what
output did you get ?
what are the return codes that you implemented in the iptables test
script , and what output is sent beside the return codes?

Assaf