Check_hpjd

Mister IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Sun Jan 9 18:45:42 CET 2011

On 09/01/2011 14:25, Paul Williamson wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2011, at 7:53 AM, "Mister IT Guru"<misteritguru at gmx.com>  wrote:
>
>> When I run the following
>>
>> [root at host plugins]# ./check_hpjd -H printer1.mydomain.com
>>   : Timeout from host printer1.mydomain.com
>>
>> I have Net-snmp installed on my system, and the timeout is instant, as
>> in 0 seconds.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that SNMP isn't that quick! Any tips on trouble shooting
>> this will be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm going to try to manually
>> speak to my printers using snmp. (This is my first journey into SNMP by
>> the way :) )

> Doesn't sound like an snmp problem.  Have you tried walking the system mib of the printer from the Command line?
>
> If that is successful, try enabling debug or verbose mode in the plugin.
>
> Paul
I noted that i didn't have net-snmp-utils installed, and then I was able
to run

[root at host plugins]# snmpwalk -Os -c public -v 1 printer1.mydomain.com
system

sysDescr.0 = STRING: HP ETHERNET MULTI-ENVIRONMENT
sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.11.2.3.9.1
sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (325408663) 37 days, 15:54:46.63
sysContact.0 = STRING:
sysName.0 = STRING: printer1
sysLocation.0 = STRING:
sysServices.0 = INTEGER: 72

So I know that the printer is working as expected, (as far as SNMP is
concerned). But when I run

[root at host plugins]# ./check_hpjd -H printer1.mydomain.com -C public
Error in packet ()

I get this error - From what I've tried so far, I know my host can
communicate via SNMP, I know the printer responds via SNMP, so I guess
I'm left to look at the plug-in, which I will be checking up on.  I'm
new to SNMP, I am investigating this with my good friend Google search,
but I am on a learning curve here, so please forgive my questions if
they sound stupid,

TIA

--
The Solo System Admin