Check_nrpe works, but actual checks by nagios do not? Should this be able to happen?

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Jan 7 18:55:09 CET 2011

On 1/2/2011 11:17 AM, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> If check_nrpe -H host.com works, and returns no errors, then is it
> reasonable to assume that checks to that same host should also be able
> to connect? I shouldn't be getting connection refused errors in the
> nagios interface, and cannot complete SSL errors in the windows server
> log, if check_nrpe - H host.com doesn't return an error? Shouldn't I
> be getting SSL errors, when I run check_nrpe against the host in question?
>
> To me this doesn't make sense, and I am at a loss as to the best place
> to look when attempting to fix this. Any suggestions and comments are
> appreciated.

Are you sure you and Nagios are using the same check_nrpe?  And are your
commands that use it configured to use it the same way you're running it
manually? I suspect not.

Theoretically, yes... if you can run it at the command line
successfully, Nagios should be able to run it successfully, too. That
assumes, though, that you and Nagios are both running it the same way.

If your check commands are configured in such a way that you're using
different addresses for the -H parameter, there are permission problems
with check_nrpe, you're passing different parameters to nsca, or any
number of other possible differences, you may not get the same results
in both cases.

A little more detail on your specific problem, like how your checks are
defined and the exact command line you're using to test, would make it a
lot easier to give a more detailed answer.