How to Monitor VMware ESX Server and Storage Units

Marc Haber mh+nagios-users at zugschlus.de
Wed Jan 5 16:28:33 CET 2011

Hi,

up to now, I have usually been monitoring "real" Unix systems: One
installs a bunch of Nagios plugins directly on the target systems and
monitors away.

Now, I have been asked to monitor a cluster of VMware ESX servers and
a fibrechannel-based HP MSA Storage Unit. On the MSA, I cannot install
any software at all, and on the ESX servers, I'd rather not install
any software since this endangers VMware support just in case
something would act up. The site in question is very interested in
being able to yell at their vendors if something doesn't work.

Both ESX and MSA can speak SNMP, but both boxes are missing
information in their SNMP data set that I'd really love to monitor:
Both boxes' SNMP sets are missing information about power supply
status and whether we have any failed hard disks.

I have installed all MIBs that VMware and HP have delivered, and full
snmpwalk output does not contain any numerically written OIDs. But
there is nothing identifying whether a hard disk or a power supply is
even online, and I'd have expected to find a hard disk's SMART info at
least partially in the data set which is pollable via SNMP.

Are there other possibilities of connecting Nagios to ESX and MSA
devices? I'd appreciate your input.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190