PING and NRPE Timeout

Darren Hill darren at brucetelecom.com
Tue Jan 4 14:13:09 CET 2011

Hi,

I have a linux box (8.04 LTS ubuntu) monitoring a bunch of windows hosts
where PING and NRPE checks timeout.
I have several other opsview/nagios installations that work fine, but
the hosts are all linux based.

I do have host entries on the nagios/opsview server and the clients, and
they are all on the same local network/subnet, on the same ethernet switch.
There are no hardware errors on the switch, and if I do a ping through
the CLI, everything is fine.

However opsview/nagios randomly comes back with failed icmp echo
requests or NRPE timeout, then it magically fixes itself.

If the manual ping check is fine (and I have it continually going while
nagios complains the host has lost connectivity), it's not an actual
connection issue, but something in nagios.

Has anyone ever experienced this, especially with windows hosts?

I have tried increasing the delay time of the checks and how many times
they need to fail before it alarms, to no avail.

Thanks

--
Darren Hill
Network Administrator