Missing notifications? [SOLVED]

Mister IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Mon Jan 3 20:54:49 CET 2011

On 03/01/2011 19:14, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> On 03/01/2011 14:57, Mister IT Guru wrote:
>> I've just finished a fresh install of nagios, and for some reason, I get
>> emails about acknowledgments of problems, (i'm rebooting servers to test
>> how long it takes for the notification to come through), instantly, but
>> I'm not actually getting emails about the problems?!
>>
>> I've checked the configuration via the nagios web interface, and the
>> correct email address is listed. Is there more than one place to
>> configure notifications to an admin?
>>
>> I'm finding this a touch disturbing, and I'm hoping that it's because
>> I've got a misconfiguration in the system, rather than some sort of
>> default behavior. I would pretty much want to be notified instantly
>> every time there is a problem, at least until such time that I can find
>> problems with my systems fix them, and then tweak notifications as required.
>>
>> I guess the bottom line is, why are acknowledgment emails being sent,
>> but not warnings, and criticals?
> I was directed in the irc forum to look at
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/statetypes.html and I learned
> that services or hosts need to have a hard state failure, in order for
> notifications to go out. I've been trying to reboot my servers in order
> to get my notifications to go out. I'd like to check that I'll actually
> get notifications as soon as there is a problem, for example, a host
> goes offline, I'd like to know after about 2 minutes if possible!

I've discovered the problem, my systems didn't seem to be down long
enough for a notification to be fired off, the services, and the host
came back online before max_check_attempts had been hit. I've made
modifications to my templates, and voila - I'm getting notifications.
Thanks to the IRC guys, and mailing list advice which helped me solve this.