Missing notifications?

Mister IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Mon Jan 3 20:14:15 CET 2011

On 03/01/2011 14:57, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> I've just finished a fresh install of nagios, and for some reason, I get
> emails about acknowledgments of problems, (i'm rebooting servers to test
> how long it takes for the notification to come through), instantly, but
> I'm not actually getting emails about the problems?!
>
> I've checked the configuration via the nagios web interface, and the
> correct email address is listed. Is there more than one place to
> configure notifications to an admin?
>
> I'm finding this a touch disturbing, and I'm hoping that it's because
> I've got a misconfiguration in the system, rather than some sort of
> default behavior. I would pretty much want to be notified instantly
> every time there is a problem, at least until such time that I can find
> problems with my systems fix them, and then tweak notifications as required.
>
> I guess the bottom line is, why are acknowledgment emails being sent,
> but not warnings, and criticals?
I was directed in the irc forum to look at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/statetypes.html and I learned
that services or hosts need to have a hard state failure, in order for
notifications to go out. I've been trying to reboot my servers in order
to get my notifications to go out. I'd like to check that I'll actually
get notifications as soon as there is a problem, for example, a host
goes offline, I'd like to know after about 2 minutes if possible!