Managing performance data

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sat Jan 1 21:56:22 CET 2011

On 1 January 2011 04:49, Joe Beck <JBeck at urbn.com> wrote:
> I’m looking for feedback on the best practice & pgm to process & graph
> performance data in nagios.
> My nagios server details:
> IBM hardware-- Model: "IBM System x3350 (Machine type 4192)"  4x2.5ghz
> processors, 8GB RAM
> OS – Suse 11
> Nagios Core 3.2.3; nagios-plugins-1.4.15; nrpe-2.12
>
> I spent some time researching on the web & it seems like PNP may be my best
> option, but some of what I found was 2-3 years old.
> My background in this area of collecting & graphing performance data &
> having baselines for perf. Mgt & as a guide for capacity mgt is ext. system
> accting, SE toolkit & orca.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback & recommendations,
> Joe

Yes, PNP is, IME, the way to go.  It's not too heavy, but if you need
to spare some cpu cycles on the Nagios server, consider using batch
mode and ship the data off to a second server for processing.

There are some powerful tools around for extracting and manipulating
the data from the .rrd databases too.  In particular look at rrdexport
( http://www.mrtg.org/rrdtool/doc/rrdxport.en.html ) for extracting
the data so you can manipulate it in Excel and drraw (
http://web.taranis.org/drraw/ ) for combining many metrics in to one
graph and manipulating the data using rpn.  See
http://www.semintelligent.com/blog/articles/39/pnp-aware-version-of-drraw-released
too for a version of drraw customised to make best use of PNP.