WARNING: Unknown contact keyword: serviceescalation

Chad Rhyner crhyner at box.net
Mon Feb 28 19:45:14 CET 2011

I have a problem with my nagios configuration, and I am unsure of what the
cause is.  I am a nagios n00b, so you will have to go easy on me!  :-)

Currently, I am seeing errors related to serviceescalation & hostescalations
definitions, and they seem to give the identical error, Unknown contact.

*WARNING: Unknown contact keyword: serviceescalation

*I have looked at the nagios documentation, and verified that the
serviceescalation definition has all of the required fields.  In the
serviceescalations that are defined, I have the following fields defined:

- hostgroup_name
- service_description
- first_notification
- last_notification
- notification_interval
- contact_groups

All of the required fields are present, and I read in the documentation that
you can define either host_name or hostgroup_name and contacts or
contact_groups, and so this looks OK to me.  I also tried to do a
verification of the syntax of the nagios configuration by running a nagios
-v *config_filename*

And this output produced zero errors on the configuration.

Another thought I had:

Since it says unknown contact, I drilled down into the contacts.  I see that
the hostgroup_name is defined only with a *hostgroup_name* and *alias *set.
According to the documentation, this is also valid syntax.  I went and
looked back at the host definition, and it does associate hosts with
hostgroups that have been defined.  So, the hosts have been associated with
the hostgroups, and the serviceescalations (& the hostescalations for that
matter) have been associated with the escalations.

Does anybody have any other ideas what I should be looking for in tracking
down the reason for this warning message?

~Chad