check_hpasm and check_openmanage over nrpe in windows

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Fri Feb 25 17:13:29 CET 2011

> I have encountered an issue with wanting to monitor HP and Dell servers
> running windows OS .
> The main issue is that due to security issue we can not use the
> NSClient++ internal functionality , but use the NRPE module option .
> I have not used the nrpe on windows boxes extensively before and wanted
> to know if anyone has deployed the check_hpasm and check_openmanage on
> windows boxes where the nagios server can only access  the NPRE port and
> not have SNMP access  direct to the server ?

Sure, that's the only way I monitor my Windows systems.

I don't use check_hpasm, but I use the hell out of check_openmanage
(thank you, Trond!):

[NRPE handlers]
command[check_openmanage]=check_openmanage.exe -e -p -b
bat_charge=ALL/ctrl_fw=ALL/ctrl_driver=ALL
--omreport=F:\dellopenmanage\oma\bin\omreport.exe

(sorry about line wrap)

OMSA is prone to timeouts as its an "expensive" test to run, but it's
saved our bacon many times.

Benny

--
"Hairy ape nads."        -- Colleen, playing Neverwinter Nights