nagios 3.2.3 , which is better OS ?

Steve Jenkins stevejenkins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 17:27:27 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Marco Borsani <m.borsani at it.net> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have to install , study and put on-line the last release.
>
> I’d like to install it on the better OS possible…
>
> What about Cent-OS 5 ?
>
> Actually I am managing Nagios 1.4.1. on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4

Hi, Marco. CentOS 5 is a great choice. We've been running Nagios
3.2.1, then 3.2.2, and now 3.2.3 on a CentOS 5 box since 2009 and it's
been totally stable for us (with in-place upgrades working
flawlessly).

I don't know if any of the popular CentOS/RHEL repos have a Nagios
package, but we prefer to download directly from the Nagios site and
follow the provided documentation for setup. There are a couple minor
issues I had with the documentation, and a few additional tricks I
discovered while setting things up, so I created a blog post for me to
refer to later when installing Nagios on a CentOS box:

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2009/12/helpful-links-for-setting-up-nagios-and-nrpe-on-rhel-5-and-centos-5/

It's not written in the same "How To" style as some of my other blog
posts (this one is more of a list of notes to refresh my memory if I
ever need to re-install or set up another Nagios instance on a CentOS
server), but hopefully there's some helpful info there for you.

Best regards,

SteveJ