check_openmanage SNMP Error

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Thu Feb 17 22:19:48 CET 2011

Shawn Green <sgreen at dotomi.com> writes:

> I?m in the process of rolling out check_openmanage to monitor a variety of
> hardware including R510s, M600s, and M610s.  I?m running into an interesting
> issue where the alert is reporting back:
>
> SNMP ERROR [cooling]: The requested entries are empty or do not exist.
>
> I understand this is an SNMP error (not check_openmanage), but what?s baffling
> me is how to work around it.  My Net::SNMP module is up to date (v6.0.1) as are
> net-snmp packages on all hosts.
>
> A good majority of hosts that are getting this error are M600/M610 blades, yet
> other blades in the same chassis? do not get this error.  I?m also seeing these
> on several R510s, yet other R510s have no problems.
>
> All hosts are Centos 5.5 64 bit with OMSA 6.2.0.

Hi Shawn,

One thing that is really peculiar is that you're getting this error from
blade servers. The plugin should identify blades and ignore the fact
that they don't have cooling devices (i.e. fans). You should never get
this error from blades. Are you really sure that the error from your
blades are with cooling and not something else?

(If so, we'll need to investigate why the plugin doesn't identify the
blade servers correctly).

Your Net::SNMP version is fine and not to blame. The error lies with
OMSA and/or the SNMP service. Try running on the servers:

  omreport chassis fans

On the blades, you should get an error saying that no fan probes where
found, which is normal. But the R510s should display fan info. If they
don't, the problem is not SNMP related but with OMSA itself.

If you haven't already done so, try restarting OMSA (i.e. run
'srvadmin-services.sh restart') on the servers. Reinstalling OMSA (or
better yet: reinstall with version 6.4.0) is the logical next step. Make
sure that there are no errors during installation and that everything
gets installed.

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo