Hostgroups: if not contact for one host, none are available

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Feb 16 19:44:53 CET 2011

Hey folks,

   This has bitten me a few times now, so I figured I'd better report
it...

   If I have hostgroup "bob":

host1
host2
host3
host4
host5

and contact "frank" is a contact for hosts 1, 2, 3, and 4 (but NOT
5), frank will not be able to view the *hostgroup*.  It gives the
usual "It appears you do not have permissions ..." error.

   *Surely* this can't be intentional, can it?  Why the heck would
you _want_ that behavior?  I would expect it to display the hosts
in the group (viewing a host you're a contact for will show all
services, even if you're not a contact for all), or at worst just
the members of the group the user is a contact for, but not deny
access to the entire hostgroup.

   In my environment, I have accidentally added a host to the
wrong hostgroup.  When I do this and the users of the hostgroup
aren't contacts for this new one that I misplaced, the users lose
access to the entire hostgroup.

   Am I being dense, or is this a bug?  3.2.3 on RHEL 5.5, BTW.

Thanks!

Benny

--
"Hairy ape nads."        -- Colleen, playing Neverwinter Nights