nagios server redundancy

Giacomo Montagner gmontagner at sorint.it
Mon Feb 14 16:09:25 CET 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:35:26 -0800
Mike Lindsey <mike-nagios at 5dninja.net> wrote:

> You cannot - to the best of my knowledge - sync acknowledgments to a
> backup server while it's actively running, unless you want to write
> something that checks for new acks and dumps them into the command
> pipe.  So, if you want to maintain acks and downtime, you'll need to
> have your backup disabled for the syncs.

Hi all,
I have a pair of nagios servers in active/passive configuration, both of
them are running also ndomod/ndo2db over a local MySQL database.

I set up a little script which polls the db for host/service checks and
pushes them to the backup (using NSCA). I think it could be easily done
for acknowledgments too, and NDOUtils/MySQL are easy enough to setup
(and don't seem to have great performance impact), or you could
parse nagios.dat and get the acknowledgments from there, then push them
to the secondary server.

Cheers,
Giacomo