check_openmanage and linebreaks

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Fri Feb 11 18:38:38 CET 2011

"Bryan O'Shea" <bryanoshea3 at gmail.com> writes:

> check_openmanage and linebreaks not working in $SERVICEOUTPUT$  emails.
>
> When using the either of the following options the linebreaks seem to be broken:
> -e or --postmsg
>
> This is what i get in my service notification emails instead of the
> desired output of seperate lines.
>
> "Power Supply 1 [AC] needs attention: Presence detected, Failure
> detected, AC lostbr/NOTE: PowerEdge 2950 III 437RQH1 -
> 555-1212"
>
> It puts a br/ in instead of a "\n".

Hi Bryan,

The default behaviour of check_openmanage is to use HTML linebreaks when
run from Nagios, NRPE etc., and regular linebreaks in a console which
has a TTY. The reason for this is that the plugin monitors several
things, and in case of multiple alerts it's practical to display them
each on a different line.

However, since this behaviour doesn't fit everyone you can modify it
with the '--linebreak' switch. To switch to regular (\n) linebreaks:

  check_openmanage --linebreak=REG

You can also specify any string as a custom linebreak:

  check_openmanage --linebreak=' -- '

If you choose regular linebreaks, the first line will be put in the
SERVICEOUTPUT macro, while any subsequent lines will be put in the
LONGSERVICEOUTPUT macro. This is how Nagios 3.x handles multiline output
from plugins.

PS. In order for the default HTML linebreaks to work as indended in the
web frontend, you should set "escape_html_tags=0" in the Nagios config.

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo