Uptime Calculation Question

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Feb 11 08:48:01 CET 2011

On 11 February 2011 02:49, Breandan Dezendorf <breandan at dezendorf.com> wrote:
> And the lower you set the check_interval, the harder the servers have
> to work to keep up with all the checks.  While the servers we are
> running could very well run all 5000 service checks every 5 minutes
> (or even faster), it would chew up a lot of our growth capacity for
> the server.

I think the trick is only to set short check interval for those
services where accurate stats are critical.  For example, for a web
server, set check_interval to a short value for check_http but a long
value for disk checks, memory checks, log file checks and so on.  The
Service Level Agreements in place for those systems should help you to
determine which services need accurate stats.

I also group hosts in to "gold", "silver" and "bronze" hostgroups and
configure the service definitions so "gold" servers are polled every
two minutes, but "silver" servers only every five minutes, and
"bronze" every 30 minutes.  Where there are more than one server in a
cluster, each of those servers is in "silver" and only the check for
the clustered service is in "gold".

Also remember that you probably don't need to set a short
check_interval for a host if you already have a service on that host
which has a short check_interval.