Understanding Unhandled Services / Hosts

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Feb 9 14:10:00 CET 2011

On 9 February 2011 12:16,  <Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi - would someone be able to explain in detail the behaviour of this? I
> have a Nagios setup that in the Problems page is showing a host as DOWN -
> it's currently failing my default FPING test. It also has a number of simple
> check_tcp commands run against it, all of which are timing out because
> obviously with the host down I'm getting a "CRITICAL - Socket timeout after
> 10 seconds" for them all. BUT when looking in Unhandled Services they don't
> appear. The host itself DOES appear in the Unhandled Hosts screen. There are
> NO comments / acknowledgements in place at all for this host.
>
> Does anyone know why the service checks don't appear as an Unhandled
> Service?

Maybe those services are in scheduled downtime?

I notice that when I click on unhandled services, the "Display
Filters" panel in the header says ...

  Host Status Types:	Pending | Up
  Host Properties:	Any
  Service Status Types:	All Problems
  Service Properties:	Not In Scheduled Downtime & Has Not Been
Acknowledged & Active Checks Enabled

Out of interest, what does yours say?