check_ntp_peer reports stratum off-by-one?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Dec 30 18:06:36 CET 2011

On 2011/12/30, at 06:03, Paul WILLIS PSE 55499 wrote:

> Hi Matthew
>
> Its neither, its actually you not understanding what peer means. Peer is effectively the next time server (or servers) up the chain,
> so generally they will be different by one. To  see what peer means, type in ntpq, then type in peer. That will list the peers of your server and their strata, NOT the stratum of your server. The main usage of peers is to make sure you are getting time from the correct source or sources. If it is only showing local sources for example it indicates you have lost contact with the external ntp sources and are just using the hardware clock.

I understand exactly how NTP works and what a peer is.  The ntpq command I ran is giving me the stratum of that server, not of its peers.  Are you saying that check_ntp_peer connects to a remote server and reports on its *peers* rather than on it?  That seems to contradict the help documentation.  How is it able to distill the strata of several of that server's peers into a single stratum value?