scheduled downtime & nagios.cmd

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Dec 29 23:19:37 CET 2011

On 29 December 2011 19:23, Jeremiah D. Jester <jjest at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> I’m attempting to integrate a downtime schedule script I downloaded from
> nagios.org into my installation
> (http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Addons/Scheduled-Downtime/Downtime-Scheduler/details)
> The script is supposed to write downtime information to the nagios.cmd file
> and disable the referenced host. However, when I tail nagios.cmd I am unable
> to view any processed commands.

The command file isn't a file, it's a pipe so I expect Nagios will
have already read the line by the time you get to attempt to read it,
and if you were able to read it then it wouldn't be there for Nagios
to read it.

> Interestingly enough the command DOES show
> in my nagios.log file so it appears that it is processing the command.
>

> [1325186243] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
> SCHEDULE_HOST_DOWNTIME;monk;1325186100;1325187540;1;7200;Nagios;Test
>

> The problem is that I don’t believe the host  (monk) is being disabled
> despite having the start time already occurring in the past. I’ve validated
> this test by disabling nrpe on the client.
>

> [1325186247] SERVICE ALERT: monk;MEMORY STATUS;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;Connection
> refused by host

Scheduled downtime won't stop Nagios from running active checks or
displaying the resulting alerts in the CGIs.  It should stop Nagios
from sending notifications (emails) though and you should see the
relevant icon to show the host is in a period of scheduled downtime.
To view all scheduled downtimes currently configured in Nagios, click
'downtime' in the 'reports' part of the menu.