freshness checks not working

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Dec 23 20:42:24 CET 2011

On 23 December 2011 18:48,  <jm+nagios-users at roth.lu> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> consider the following template:
>
> define service {
> name                           x_trap
> register                       0        ; DONT REGISTER  - ITS NOT
> REAL,JUST A TEMPLATE!
> host_name                      host
> active_checks_enabled          0
> passive_checks_enabled         1
> is_volatile                    1
> max_check_attempts             1
> normal_check_interval          1
> retry_check_interval           1
> flap_detection_enabled         0
> contact_groups                 cg_x
> notification_options           w,u,c
> notification_interval          240
> notification_period            24x7
> check_freshness 1
> freshness_threshold 600
> check_command check_dummy!0
> check_period 24x7
> }
>
> Can someone tell me why some real services derived from the above template
> do not seem to do the freshness checks?

Are you sure they don't do the freshness check?  Personally I would
have the following arguments (or similar) to check_dummy, using 3
rather than 0 to show an unknown rather than ok state.

  check_command check_dummy!3 "UNKNOWN: Nagios did not receive a
passive service check recently."

One thing that catches me out frequently is when I put an explanation
mark in there which stops it from working.  For example, this will not
work.

  check_command check_dummy!3 "UNKNOWN: Nagios did not receive a
passive service check recently!"

hth,

Jim