servicedependencies not working

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Dec 23 14:09:13 CET 2011

On 12/16/2011 04:38 AM, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
> I've started playing with making a bunch of dependencies and at first it appeared to be working, right now I've got a pretty basic test setup. I've added one service to be dependent on the other one, but it seems that the freshness might be mucking with it.  Two services below:
>

> define service {
>       service_description      base_log_checks
>       servicegroups            base_service_group
>       hostgroup_name           base_windows_2003
>       use                      generic-passive-service
>       check_freshness          1
>       freshness_threshold      3600
>       check_command            service_is_
> }
>
> define service {
>       service_description      nagios_cron
>       servicegroups            base_service_group
>       hostgroup_name           base_windows_2003
>       use                      generic-passive-service
>       check_freshness          1
>       freshness_threshold      3000
>       check_command            service_is_stale
> }
>
> define servicedependency {
>      service_description             nagios_cron
>      dependent_service_description   base_log_checks
>      execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
>      notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
>      inherits_parent                 1
> }
>
> What appears to happen is that I kill nsclient so nagios_cron starts reporting "stale" at 3000 seconds,  and the same for base_log_checks shortly after.  Then about every hour I get more "stale" soft alerts, and then after the third try it goes to a HARD alert and I still get a ticket, though I'm not sure why it's even checking if execution should be disable when nagios_cron is in a warning state.  But not only does the active checks (service_is_stale) get executed but I'm also still getting notifications sent after 3 attempts, so it doesn't really appear to be doing anything.  Unfortunately right now these servers are so busy it's hard to put them in debug mode.  Have I missed something obvious with these?

I must say though, with the size of your environment, it's quite possible that
just looking up the dependency takes longer than it does to just execute the
extra check. If you're looking to save time, that might well bite you in the
ass. It's something that will probably be improved til Nagios 4, but it will
require a change in Nagios' object structure, so we can't really do it without
upping the major version number :-/

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.