Feeding status information to SCOM?

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Tue Dec 20 21:21:52 CET 2011

Thanks to Jim and Mike.

The idea of Nagios sending traps actually is much in line with the SCOM
way of doing things, as far as I have understood.

Personally, I find the trap-based approach rather fragile, though:

 - The receiver (SCOM) may be down when a trap is sent. Actually
   not that far off during a service window where the Nagios
   server could very well be up before the SCOM server.

 - There may be situations with mismatches between alarm-mails
   and recovery mails, like Mike described. This can lead to
   alarms which keep living long after the problem-situation
   went away.

I much prefer polling-based monitoring, because transient misdelivery of
messages (such as traps) doesn't undermine the trustworthiness of the
monitoring setup.

- But the trap-based approach certainly seems like an easy way to get
something going.

--
Regards,
Troels Arvin <troels at arvin.dk>