Feeding status information to SCOM?

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Tue Dec 20 14:58:47 CET 2011

Hello,

As much as I think it's a silly idea:
A company has a policy stating that all production systems need to be
monitored by a Microsoft SCOM system. Now, there are servers and hosts
that can only be monitored by Nagios (e.g. HPC clusters where the compute
nodes are hidden on isolated networks behind front-ends). These _still_
need to be part of the central SCOM monitoring. So I'm looking for the
least ugly/burdensome way to export Nagios' knowledge about a set of
systems to SCOM (Nagios and SCOM can see each other).

Googling leads to a project called SCOM2Nagios, but that seems to go ship
information in the wrong direction, given the above.

Then I thought that status of hosts and services might easily be pulled
from Nagios into SCOM REST-style via HTTP, but it seems to entail HTML
parsing which sounds risky.

NDOUtils looks like the best option, currently, because SCOM can probably
be told to perform queries in an MySQL database.

- But having to store data in a database in order for SCOM to pull them
out subsequently seems like a potential for large I/O overhead. I would
much rather find a way to query Nagios on the fly, but I guess this would
mean coding up something? Perhaps:

 - Extending the Nagios CGI with REST-style URLs which reflects host/
   service states with HTTP codes, supplemented by text status and
   performance counters in the response body?

 - Create a Nagios Event Broker (NEB) like MK Livestatus which spits
   out XML over HTTP which SCOM (or other systems) could parse?

 - Create an SNMP AgentX agent which reads directly from Nagios
   through a Nagios Event Broker. SCOM would then query via SNMP
   (which I assume it's good at).

Actually, I would prefer that latter approach, but it might also be the
hardest thing to code.

Thoughts/comments?

--
Regards,