Hardware RAID monitoring?

Kaiwang Chen kaiwang.chen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 10:14:11 CET 2011

2011/12/16 Axel <ar at xlrs.de>:
> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag 16 Dezember 2011, 10:00:12 schrieb Yu Watanabe:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I would ask for advice if anyone has ever implemented Hardware RAID
>> monitoring on LINUX and Windows. I am figuring out how to do this but bit
>> struggling with ideas.
>>
>> I assume that sofware RAID status will depend on the api of the vendor
>> software but Hardware RAID will be bit tricky.
>>
>> It would be helpful if one can share their experience of how the RAID
>> status can be fetched.
>
> most controllers have a kind of cli which you cann access. With a more or less
> simple script you can get your raid and disk status. With nrpe it's easy to
> get a state message and an exit code.

It's in band isn't it? I experienced performance problems when
checking against Dell PERC cards(megaraid firmware) with MegaCLI
-LdPdInfo and MegaCLI -PDList, the io_wait queue was thrashed as
reported by iostat resulting many slow queries on the MySQL host.
Looks like hardware problems(including disk failure) are detected by
IPMI hardware, namely BMC. I considered monitoring hardware events out
band, and implemented as nagios passive checks on IPMI nodes.  I also
wrote a simple tutorial at
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/trunk/contrib/pet/README?root=freeipmi&view=markup,
and the passive check is discussed in section 2.2 NAGIOS INTEGRATION;
there is also example configuration at
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/trunk/contrib/pet/ipminodes.cfg?root=freeipmi&view=markup.
It requires FreeIPMI-1.1.1 on the receiver host though, which will be
released shortly in one or two weeks. How do you think about it?

Thanks,
Kaiwang

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011