servicedependencies not working

Daniel Wittenberg daniel.wittenberg.r0ko at statefarm.com
Thu Dec 15 18:38:53 CET 2011

I've started playing with making a bunch of dependencies and at first it appeared to be working, right now I've got a pretty basic test setup. I've added one service to be dependent on the other one, but it seems that the freshness might be mucking with it.  Two services below:

define service {
     service_description      base_log_checks
     servicegroups            base_service_group
     hostgroup_name           base_windows_2003
     use                      generic-passive-service
     check_freshness          1
     freshness_threshold      3600
     check_command            service_is_
}

define service {
     service_description      nagios_cron
     servicegroups            base_service_group
     hostgroup_name           base_windows_2003
     use                      generic-passive-service
     check_freshness          1
     freshness_threshold      3000
     check_command            service_is_stale
}

define servicedependency {
    service_description             nagios_cron
    dependent_service_description   base_log_checks
    execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
    notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
    inherits_parent                 1
}

What appears to happen is that I kill nsclient so nagios_cron starts reporting "stale" at 3000 seconds,  and the same for base_log_checks shortly after.  Then about every hour I get more "stale" soft alerts, and then after the third try it goes to a HARD alert and I still get a ticket, though I'm not sure why it's even checking if execution should be disable when nagios_cron is in a warning state.  But not only does the active checks (service_is_stale) get executed but I'm also still getting notifications sent after 3 attempts, so it doesn't really appear to be doing anything.  Unfortunately right now these servers are so busy it's hard to put them in debug mode.  Have I missed something obvious with these?

Dan