Nagios directory ownership

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Wed Dec 14 17:10:37 CET 2011

I guess you ran into a problem when some folders were not created. You
installed the current version 3.3.1 from source? I also had the problem
that some folders (in var) weren't created.

I'll show you my conf:

Everything in etc is nagios:nagios

Everything in var is nagios:nagios except the folder rw:

pmoinfr01:/usr/local/nagios/var # ll
total 4688
drwxr-xr-x 2 nagios nagios    4096 Dec 14 00:00 archives
-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios nagios       5 Dec  9 14:32 nagios.lock
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios  186216 Dec 14 17:02 nagios.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios nagios 1105810 Dec 14 14:28 objects.cache
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios 1721471 Dec 14 16:28 retention.dat
drwxrwsr-x 2 nagios nagcmd    4096 Dec 14 14:28 rw
drwxr-xr-x 3 nagios nagios    4096 Nov 14 15:21 spool
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 1712042 Dec 14 17:08 status.dat

Subfolders and files in archives and spool are also nagios:nagios.
Files in rw are nagios:nagcmd.

Where nagios=Nagios user, nagcmd=Nagios Command User.