too many lines in archive log

Marco Borsani m.borsani at it.net
Mon Dec 12 10:35:02 CET 2011

Hi all

Probably I made some errors in the passive checks configuration ..

The main Nagios server has 132 passive hosts and 400 passive services
configured (only 30 active hosts and 60 active services), received from two
remote Nagios systems.

In each archive file I have more than 420.000 lines (compared to another
Nagios server with about 20.000, with no passive checks configured).

I see many and many rows like :

[1323564139] EXTERNAL COMMAND: PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;

[1323564139] EXTERNAL COMMAND: PROCESS_HOST_CHECK_RESULT;

.

And

[1323564137] PASSIVE HOST CHECK:

[1323564137] PASSIVE SERVICE CHECK:

Is it normal ?

What can I check/modify to reduce the logs ?

In this situation it is impossible use the “Event Log” menu (and my HD will
be full soon L )

Regards

Marco Borsani

Unix and Monitoring Sysadmin