[Nagios-users] timeperiod definition for election day?

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Tue Dec 6 17:02:11 CET 2011

Jochen Bern wrote:
> Am I missing something, or would this
>
> On 12/06/2011 12:44 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> On 12/05/2011 09:31 PM, Paul M. Dubuc wrote:
>>> For example, election day in the U.S. is on the 1st Tuesday after
>>> the 1st Monday of November.
>
> be equivalent to "the Tuesday between 02-Nov and 08-Nov", which, in turn,
>
>> I couldn't even imagine what the syntax would
>> look like to support it
>
> should (!) be equivalent to
>
> define timeperiod {
> 	timeperiod_name	Election Day
> 	alias		Shouldnt you be out there voting for someone
> 	november 2 - 8	00:00-24:00
> 	exclude		AllButTuesdays
> 	}
> define timeperiod {
> 	timeperiod_name	AllButTuesdays
> 	alias		Everyone can hate MONDAYS ...
> 	sunday		00:00-24:00
> 	monday		00:00-24:00
> 	wednesday	00:00-24:00
> 	thursday	00:00-24:00
> 	friday		00:00-24:00
> 	saturday	00:00-24:00
> 	}
>
> ?
>
> Kind regards,
> 								J. Bern

Amazing.  Thanks!  But until the problem with the 'exclude' directive is fixed
(see the known issue under 3.2.0 - 08/12/2009 at
http://www.nagios.org/projects/nagioscore/history/core-3x), we might want to
do it this way:

  define timeperiod {
  	timeperiod_name	Election Day
  	alias		Shouldnt you be out there voting for someone
  	november 2 - 8	00:00-24:00
  	use		AllButTuesdays
  	}
  define timeperiod {
	name		AllButTuesdays	# so 'use' will work above
  	timeperiod_name	AllButTuesdays
  	alias		Everyone can hate MONDAYS ...
  	sunday		00:00-00:00
  	monday		00:00-00:00