disabling e-mail notifications for nagiosadmin account

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Mon Dec 5 21:51:08 CET 2011

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> We are running Nagios 3.3.1, and have a two contacts set up for the e-mail
> notifications. One of the contacts
> is the nagiosadmin user. This is the user account that was first setup during
> the initial installation of the application.
>
> When the account was set up it was configured with the e-mail address of one
> of our network administrators.
>
> A second account was set up that was based on the administrator's login
> account along with his e-mail address.
> When notifications are sent out, he gets two notifications for each event due
> to both contacts having the same
> e-mail address.
>
> We want to prevent the e-mail notifications being sent to the nagiosadmin
> account with the administrator getting
> only one notification per event as the intended result. One thought was to set
> up a dummy account on the Nagios
> server as a solution, and another idea was to set up a flag in the
> contacts.cfg file, but we are not sure what the
> would be the correct syntax for the latter.
>
> What would be the best solution here?
>
> Thanks.

nagiosadmin doesn't need to be a notification contact.  You can remove it from
any contact lists in your contacts.cfg.   If you want that user to still be
able to see everything and run all commands from the Nagios display you can
put it in the "authorized_for_*" lists in your cgi.cfg if its not already there.

Paul Dubuc