nagios and nsclient++ wont work

Spook ZA spookza at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 10:42:25 CET 2011

Hi

Try look at http://www.nsclient.org/nscp/wiki/FAQ#a7.SystemTraydoesnotwork

> By the way is anyone of you both running nagios on debian?

I run on CentOS - a derivative of RedHat

> Spook you said, that you do deploy nsclient on several installations
> with some sort of a basic/standard setup - ini File...would you mind
> to let me have a look at that file...for learning/understanding
> purposes?

The NSC.ini config file is very well commented and the NSClient++ wiki
provides a great source of information.

> Thanks a lot to both of you
> Regards
> Niels
>
> P.S.: Sorry for not quoting, but its hard to do that on a Blackberry :-(
>
> 2011/12/2 Assaf Flatto <nagios at flatto.net>:
>> I am trying to understand what you are saying is not working , as the log snippet does not say anything about tests coming from the Nagios server , if it is about the Tray icon,the  answer is in the log :
>> "\TrayIcon.cpp(53) Failed to load: ChangeWindowMessageFilter aparently we are not on Vista... "

My config is very simple and works for me as I only use NSCLient type
checking (although I have NRPE enabled also just in case), you may
have other requirements:

This config file has been trimmed down so as not to make the email too
long.  You will have to compare it against one of your NSC.ini files.
Please note I have shared_session=0 and commented out since I do not
use the tray.  This area may be of special interest to you as per the
URL above.

[modules]
FileLogger.dll
CheckSystem.dll
CheckDisk.dll
NSClientListener.dll
NRPEListener.dll
;SysTray.dll
CheckEventLog.dll
CheckHelpers.dll
;CheckWMI.dll
;
CheckExternalScripts.dll
;

[Settings]
;# PASSWORD
;  This is the password (-s) that is required to access NSClient
remotely. If you leave this blank everyone will be able to access the
daemon remotly.
password=knockknock
use_file=1
allowed_hosts=192.168.11.170
;
; # USE SHARED MEMORY CHANNELS
;  This is the "new" way for using the system tray based on an IPC
framework on top shared memmory channels and events.
;  It is brand new and (probably has bugs) so dont enable this unless
for testing!
;  If set to 1 shared channels will be created and system tray icons
created and such and such...
;shared_session=0

[log]
;# LOG DEBUG
;  Set to 1 if you want debug message printed in the log file (debug
messages are always printed to stdout when run with -test)
;debug=1
;
;# LOG FILE
;  The file to print log statements to
;file=nsclient.log
;
;# LOG DATE MASK
;  The format to for the date/time part of the log entry written to file.
;date_mask=%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
;
;# LOG ROOT FOLDER
;  The root folder to use for logging.
;  exe = the folder where the executable is located
;  local-app-data = local application data (probably a better choice
then the old default)
;root_folder=exe

[NSClient]
port=12489

[NRPE]
port=5666
allow_arguments=1

[Check System]
check_all_services[SERVICE_AUTO_START]=started

[External Script]

[External Scripts]

[External Alias]
alias_cpu=checkCPU warn=80 crit=90 time=5m time=1m time=30s
alias_cpu_ex=checkCPU warn=$ARG1$ crit=$ARG2$ time=5m time=1m time=30s
alias_disk=CheckDriveSize MinWarn=10% MinCrit=5% CheckAll FilterType=FIXED
alias_service=checkServiceState CheckAll
alias_process=checkProcState $ARG1$=started
alias_mem=checkMem MaxWarn=80% MaxCrit=90% ShowAll type=physical
alias_up=checkUpTime MinWarn=1d MinWarn=1h
alias_file_age=checkFile2 filter=out "file=$ARG1$" filter-written=>1d
MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "syntax=%filename% %write%"
alias_file_size=checkFile2 filter=out "file=$ARG1$"
filter-size=>$ARG2$ MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "syntax=%filename% %size%"
alias_file_size_in_dir=checkFile2 filter=out pattern=*.txt
"file=$ARG1$" filter-size=>$ARG2$ MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1
"syntax=%filename% %size%"
alias_event_log=CheckEventLog file=application file=system filter=new
filter=out MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 filter-generated=>2d
filter-severity==success filter-severity==informational truncate=1023
unique descriptions  "syntax=%severity%: %source%: %message%
(%count%)"
alias_event_log2=CheckEventLog file=application file=system filter=new
filter=in MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 filter+generated=<2d
"filter+eventSource==Service Control Manager" filter+severity==error
truncate=1023 unique descriptions  "syntax=%severity%: %source%:
%message% (%count%)"

; [includes]

[NSCA Agent]

[NSCA Commands]