Passive monitoring multiple servers with 1 NAT IP

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sat Dec 3 00:25:48 CET 2011

On 2 December 2011 18:14,  <a.smith at ukgrid.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the case where I want to monitor several servers in a remote office where
> all outbound traffic from that office originates from a single IP (NAT) is
> there any way I can monitor those with Nagios without putting a Nagios
> server in the remote office?
> On the face of it it would seem impossible as Nagios identifies hosts by
> their IP (and therefore each needs a unique IP) but would be good to get
> that confirmed or otherwise,

Yes you can do that no problem.  Send the checks to the Nagios server
using send_nsca and configure all the hosts in Nagios with passive
host and service checks.  You can use freshness checking to alert you
if no checks have been received at all lately from the remote host.
The send_nsca transmission identifies the host to Nagios so it won't
matter if the address is NATted.

Note that for the active check in Nagios you will need to use
check_dummy or similar so that if the freshness check fails then
Nagios will run this and alert you to the fact the freshness check has
failed.  I normally use something like ..

  check_dummy!3 "UNKNOWN: Nagios didn't receive a check result lately
from the server!"

You haven't said if the servers are Unix, Windows or what.  If
Windows, then it's easy to configure the NSClient++ agent to send
checks using NSCA.  If Unix or linux you will need to install
send_nsca and the relevant plugins and run the checks from cron, maybe
using the nsca_wrapper script which you'll find on Nagios Exchange.

You will of course need to configure NSCA on your Nagios server to
receive the incoming checks.

hth,

Jim