Ping massive number of hosts

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 30 11:56:04 CEST 2011

On 08/30/2011 02:28 AM, Yu Watanabe wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I would like to hear opinion from everyone whom had experience
> of pinging massive number of hosts.
>
> Version of nagios we are considering to use is v 3.2.3 on RHEL 5 64 bit machine.
> The number of hosts we are trying to check is 3000.

Consider the number of checks per second instead. 3000 checks
spread over 5 minutes is only 10 per second, and that's basically
nothing unless you're using hardware from 1964.

> Has anyone had done this amount of active ping checks? Or ,
> should we use the fping periodically by crontab and send as
> passive checks

Just use check_icmp so you avoid fork()'ing an extra time to
execute the ping binary from a program and you should be just
fine.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.