Nagios Cluster with Load Balancing and High Availability

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Aug 29 11:12:41 CEST 2011

On 08/26/2011 11:05 AM, Aravind M D wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to configure two physical servers as active-active cluster and
> configure Loadbalancing with High availabiltiy for Nagios.
>
> Can somebody help me how to achieve this.
>
> I have checked some of loadbalancing modules like mod_gearmen, merlin and
> DNX. If any one knows about the difference between these modules please let
> me know.

If you want loadbalancing with takeover capabilities, Merlin is your only
choice. The other two rely on a single Nagios instance to do scheduling and
notifications. If that instance crashes, mod_gearman and DNX can't help you
get any info at all.

It might be possible to couple them so that mod_gearman and Merlin work
together, but you'd be entering unknown territory with that mix and I would
be quite surprised if it worked completely without problems the first time
you try it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.