check_openmanage - Feature request

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Tue Aug 16 11:46:27 CEST 2011

Russell Kackley <rkackley at naoj.org> writes:

> I recently downloaded and started using the Nagios plugin
> check_openmanage to provide information on our Dell PowerEdge servers to
> Nagios. check_openmanage works very well for us, but there is one thing
> that I would like to see added. Another possibility is that other
> check_openmanage users could point me to a way to accomplish what I want
> to do using the existing code.
>
> We have two PowerEdge 2950 servers, named s1 and s2. Each server has a
> PERC 6/E card installed in them. We also have a PowerVault MD1000
> storage unit. Both servers are connected to the MD1000. s1 is our
> primary server so we boot it first and Dell OMSA reports that the
> physical disks are "Online", which is what we want. s2 is our backup
> server and we boot that second. For this server, Dell OMSA reports that
> the physical disk status is "Non-Critical" and the state is "Foreign".
> This is ok for us, but the problem is that check_openmanage sees the
> "Non-Critical" status and reports a Warning for the physical disks. I
> would like check_openmanage to ignore the "Non-Critical" status when the
> state is "Foreign", preferably via a blacklist option, e.g.,
> pdisk_foreign. I think that this is similar to the blacklist option
> pdisk_cert, in which check_openmanage ignores the "Non-Critical" status
> when a disk is not certified by Dell. Note that I did investigate the
> blacklist item pdisk and the "--check storage=0" option, but my
> understanding of those options is that they suppress all checks of the
> disks, which is not what I want.
>
> Do the users of check_openmanage 1) have any suggestions for how I can
> tell check_openmanage to ignore the "Non-Critical"/"Foreign" state of
> the disks, or 2) think that this would be a useful feature to add to
> check_openmanage?

Hi Russel,

This would be a nice feature to add. Please try the latest development
version (3.7.1-beta2), it includes the new blacklisting keyword
'pdisk_foreign' as you suggest:

  http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/check_openmanage.html#download

Regards,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo