check_http with multiple outcomes?

Dr. Ed Morbius dredmorbius at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:40:56 CEST 2011

Terry:

on 23:37 Mon 08 Aug, Terry Carmen (terry at cnysupport.com) wrote:
> Quoting Edward Morbius <dredmorbius at gmail.com>:
> >
> > When some things are going well and others aren't fully up to speed (slow
> > database), we'll get a "DATABASE_TEST_RAN_LONG", which isn't ideal, but at
> > least for a few occurances (n <= 5) we can live with.  In particular, we
> > DON'T want a single result sounding off pagers in the middle of the night.
>
> You can specify -e "OK,DATABASE_TEST_RAN_LONG", then let the plugin
> decide if it's slow or not, with the -w,  -c and -t  parameters.
>
> Terry

Thanks.

I'd considered that. It doesn't quite match what we want to test.  I'm
thinking we may need to have a few different tests, possibly related to
one another.

If there's a 4xx/5xx error, it's a hard fail.

If there's no 4xx/5xx error, but we get the "DATABASE_TEST_RAN_LONG"
result, it's a soft fail, turning hard on 6 repeats.  That string
appears in our application, it's not a nagios-determined slowness.
Alternately, we might want to have a separate test for DB performance
(there may well be, I'm still digging through rules and tests).

If there's an "OK" result, there's no error.

The 4xx/5xx errors are exclusive of the other two possible results. If
there's no 4xx/5xx error, we've got the option of either of the other
two conditions.

So: is this a three-check test?  How would I set precedence among them?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power