Suggestions for event correlation managers?

Frost, Mark {PBC} mark.frost1 at pepsico.com
Tue Aug 9 12:52:11 CEST 2011

Splunk perhaps?

Mark
From: Furnish, Trever G [TGFurnish at herffjones.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:30 AM
To: Nagios Users List
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Suggestions for event correlation managers?

Anyone?  C'mon, don't be shy! :-)

--
Trever

From: Furnish, Trever G [TGFurnish at herffjones.com]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 4:45 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: Boeglin, Adam R

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for applying Nagios' style of event handling (escalations, recoveries, acknowledgements), hopefully with some improvements (aggregation), to events coming from many different (non-Nagios) sources.  I know of a few Nagios-specific notification aggregators, but can anyone recommend a good (preferably inexpensive / OSS) way of expanding that to include many other tools?  I know about SNARE and RiverMuse, but they're relatively expensive.

We make heavy use of Nagios as well as several other tools (MSFT SCOM, HP SIM, Oracle Grid Control, AlertSite.net, etc).  They're all sending alerts in various forms to a small group of admins and engineers, so many of us get alerts from all of the tools, sometimes from more than one tool regarding a single event.

Nagios does a great job of flexibly managing alerts from its own events, but I don't see how I'd hook in the other tools.  Several of the tools (e.g. SCOM and SIM) don't even have any concept of event correlation -- breakage and recovery are two separate events.

I see tools like SNARE, RiverMuse ECM, and a few others filling this gap, at least partially, but I don't yet have experience with them and they're relatively expensive.  Anyone doing this effectively with OSS tools or low-cost tools or a good home-grown approach you wouldn't mind sharing (and possibly collaborating on)?

Trever Furnish, tgfurnish at herffjones.com
Herff Jones, Inc. Solutions Architect
Phone: 317.612.3519