What the best way to monitor Windows?

Sandra Bonus mrsbonus1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 04:15:10 CEST 2011

Ok, so it sounds like there might be 3 "best" ways to monitor Windows in general.
I will have to check them out in detail before deciding which way to go. I do note that the following though from reading about them -

1. Checkwmiplus
	* Looks like I don't need to install anything on my Windows servers (a nice advantage).

	* Has lots of checks available.

	* Looks like it will be the easiest of the 3 to get started with (yet to be proven)
	* Requires the linux version of wmic (doesn't look too hard to get going)
	* The newest of the methods

2. nsclient++
	* Has been around a while (maybe the longest of the three methods), possibly making it the most proven method.

	* Needs an agent installed on Windows.

	* Has lots of checks available.
	* Checks have to be configured in 2 places (Nagios and the Windows host).
	* Can possibly do a little bit more than checkwmiplus since it has an agent installed

3. check_mk
	* Needs an agent installed on Windows
	* Needs configuration installed on Windows (can't quite work that one out yet)
	* Seems to have some magic auto-check creation (sounds good, but what if I don't want to check everything it finds - yet to be worked out)
	* Looks like this one will be the most work/complexity to get started with
	* Looks like it will perform the best for large installations, but for smaller installations it probably does not matter. This looks like a trade-off between complexity and performance. I wonder how many hosts/services you need to make it worth while?
	* There looked like a bit of an ugly config where you have to manually run some command (lodctr /s:counters.ini) to get some checks to work? Yuk!
	* Does some magic with my Nagios config. Do I really want some script playing around with my config? Might limit me in the future with upgrades etc as Check_mk will have to support whatever version of Nagios I use.

Hey, if I've got any of this wrong please correct me