Planning for a large deployment

Simon Dehne dehne at tfd.uni-hannover.de
Wed Sep 29 21:49:37 CEST 2010

Hello Carl,
I am using hostgroups to easily add news hosts to my existing
configuration.
The basic steps for easily configuring services via hostgroups might
interest you. This is how our system is set up:

hosts.cfg -> Definitions of the computers to be monitored, e.g.:

define host{
        use             linux-server
        host_name       Gaia
        alias           Licencing Server
        address         130.xx.xx.x
}

hostgroups.cfg -> Hostgroups and its members are defined here, e.g.:

define hostgroup {
        hostgroup_name linux-servers
        members         Gaia, ..., ...
}

Now you can easily define services that should be used for all members
of a hostgroup, in our case it's in services.cfg and looks like this:

define service {
        hostgroup_name          linux-servers
        service_description     SSH
        check_command           check_ssh
        use                     generic-service
}

If you now add a new host, all you have to do is define his name and IP
address and the hostgroup he has to become a member of.

Hope this helps you,
best regards, Simon