passing a string with spaces to nrpe

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Wed Sep 29 19:07:34 CEST 2010

  On 29/09/10 18:00, Lori Adams wrote:

> I'm having a terrible time setting up nrpe to allow me to pass a
> string with spaces.  This is with nagios 3.x and nrpe 2.0.
>
> The service config is trying to check a log on a remote server for a
> string that contains spaces.
>
> The service block has the check_command set to:
> check_command
> check_log_perl_nofilter_test!/srv/logs/spamnet/log-parser/log-parser.log!/srv/nagios_nrpe/tmp/log-parser.log.out!\"ERROR:
> Parent: Fatal error\"
>
> The check_command is set to:
>
> define command {
>
>         command_name    check_log_perl_nofilter_test
>
>         command_line    $USER2$/check_nrpe -u -t 30 -H $HOSTADDRESS$
> -c check_log_perl_nofilter -a $ARG1$ $ARG2$ "$ARG3$"
>
> }
>
> The nrpe config is then:
>
> command[check_log_perl_nofilter]=
> /srv/nagios_nrpe/scripts/check_log.pl --filename=$ARG1$
> --oldlog=$ARG2$ --query=$ARG3$
>
> If I change the nrpe config to echo the command, so that it looks like:
>                 command[check_log_perl_nofilter]= echo
> /srv/nagios_nrpe/scripts/check_log.pl --filename=$ARG1$
> --oldlog=$ARG2$ --query=$ARG3$
>
> Then, the output of the echo is:
>
> /srv/nagios_nrpe/scripts/check_log.pl
> --filename=/srv/logs/spamnet/log-parser/log-parser.log
> --oldlog=/srv/nagios_nrpe/tmp/log-parser.log.out --query=ERROR:
>
> I've tried quoting the $ARG3$ in the nrpe command, and I get the same
> thing.
>
> I've seed other threads on the list that in order to pass quotes to
> nrpe, you must escape them.  You can see I've tried that.   Any
> guidance would be extremely helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lori Adams

Have you compiled nrpe with the allow command /arguments ?

to get the proper syntax do ./configure --help

/

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

Next year I will be doing the London to Paris bike ride to
raise money for the DogTrust (www.dogstrust.co.uk) .
Please Sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/Assaf-Flatto