FTP Server is shown alive, but Nagios says DOWN!

Ortner, Gerald Gerald.Ortner at gespag.at
Tue Sep 28 13:50:44 CEST 2010

You've configured a service check not the host check:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/servicechecks.html
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host

I would recommend to read the manual first, to get a basic knowledge of how Nagios works.