FTP Server is shown alive, but Nagios says DOWN!

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Tue Sep 28 12:16:56 CEST 2010

The check_command in the *host* definition, not the service definition.

Is this a Windows 2008 FTP server?  If so, Win2008 disables pings out
of the box, and a custom rule must be added to the Windows Firewall
to allow ICMP ECHOREQ.

Or use a check_command that would indeed show the correct status of
the host.  Do *not* blindly disable the Windows Firewall to "fix"
this, if this is what's going on.

Benny

> Check_command is set to check_ftp and that is shown as UP, can't figure
> out
> why Nagios is showing ftp server as DOWN!!
>
> Please see the configuration file below.
>
> # Define a service to check host alive  the remote machine
>
>  define service{
>           use                             local-service         ; Name of
> service template to use
>           host_name                       ftpsrv
>           service_description             Check FTP Service
>           check_command                   check_ftp!
>           }
>
> To which service check can we change to, so that Nagios doesn't show an UP
> server as DOWN.
>
> Regards
> Anth.

"Because you have arms like noodles, while I am vigorous and
burly."                               -- Hodgins, "Bones"