FTP Server is shown alive, but Nagios says DOWN!

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Tue Sep 28 11:28:27 CEST 2010

  On 28/09/10 09:52, IT Toonz wrote:

> Thanks Bram for the reply.
>
> Ping is not working. It should. Will check and post.
>
> But Nagios is able to get the other values, as is obvious from the
> attached images in the previous mail.
>
> Regards
>
> Anth.

 From the looks of it you are using the default "check_host_alive" check
for the host - this is a fancy name for a ping check done for the host .

the other checks are using other TCP ports and protocols that your
host/firewall allows and hence you get the "UP" for them .

If you had set a dependency of check_host_alive -> all services on host
, then once the host "failed" all the checks on the server would stop
and turn critical too.

Assaf

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

Next year I will be doing the London to Paris bike ride to
raise money for the DogTrust (www.dogstrust.co.uk) .
Please Sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/Assaf-Flatto