Alleviating Nagios i/o contention problem

Breandan Dezendorf breandan at dezendorf.com
Sat Sep 25 19:35:48 CEST 2010

On Sep 25, 2010, at 8:30 AM, Frost, Mark {PBC} wrote:

> At the moment I'm concerned about the graphdata, but because I can only see i/o utilization as an aggregate, I can't tell what is the worst component on that filesystem -- status.dat updates?  graph data?  writes to the var/spool directory?  We also look at continued growth so this is only going to get worse.
>
> These systems are quite lightly loaded from a CPU (2 dual-core CPUs) and memory (4GB) perspective, but the i/o to the nagios filesystem is queuing now.

I find that one of my biggest issues is writing to logs, so I've turned off as much as I can.  Especially the pnp4nagios logging - I turn it on when I'm debugging something, but otherwise it's totally disabled.

If you are running your logs through syslog, make sure syslog is setup to write async.  You may lose some log data in the case of a crash, but it will be a LOT faster. <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/208098/can-syslog-performance-be-improved>

--
Breandan Dezendorf
breandan at dezendorf.com
bwdezend at gmail.com