Batched service check data

Jens Deppe jens.deppe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 16:04:49 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have an environment where I would like to feed Nagios with batched service
statistics. The reasons for this are varied:

  o There is no direct connection between the server and clients. The
clients will need to, periodically, push the data to a location which is
also accessible by the server.
  o I don't have a need for realtime service stats although I do want a
relatively fine level of granularity for the data - it's predominantly for
trending / display via nagiosgraph.

Ideally I would have a service check (kind of a virtual check) which pulls
the batch data and then creates an entry (in the service perf log) for each
data point collected. However, I don't see that as feasible as, from my
understanding, a check script will only create a single service log entry
for each invocation. (The service perf log is what nagiosgraph then reads to
create the graphs).

I'm not sure how to approach this. One brute-force approach would be to have
an external process simply update the service perf log outside of the Nagios
environment. I'm very reluctant to do this as the nagiosgraph script (which
runs every 30 seconds) truncates the service perf log after every
invocation. If I'm updating this file outside of Nagios I'm sure I'll end up
with inconsistent results.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks in advance.
--Jens