Problem with custom plugin on a remote linux box

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Fri Sep 17 14:03:28 CEST 2010

> **On the machine being monitored**
> I have the perl script I created in /usr/local/nagios/libexec/custom/ (its
> modification of
> http://www.deimos.fr/gitweb/?p=nagios_plugins.git;a=blob;f=check_file_conten
> t/check_file_content.pl;h=ecf737389fd5a4360ee864eb55aca92056308445;hb=HEAD
> have tested it from the command line as the nagios user and it works as
> expected)
>
> in the file: /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg i added
> command[check_wadmin]=/usr/bin/perl
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/custom/check_wadmin.pl -f /tmp/nagiosInput.txt
> -i
> wait -n 35

OK, good.

> ***On the monitoring machine***
> I already had the machine monitoring the remote linux box's basic stats, I
> did this by creating a remotelinuxhost.cfg file at
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects (and adding a reference in the main config)
>
> To remotelinuxhost.cfg I added:
>
> define service{
> use generic-service ; Name of service template to use
> host_name Sun89
> service_description Check Feed Handler
> check_command check_wadmin
> }
>

> I also added commands.cfg (in the same folder)
>
> #custom - 'check_wadmin' command definition
> define command{
>          command_name   check_wadmin
>          command_line   check_nrpe
>        }

Bzzzt.  Here's where it's incorrect.

check_nrpe only checks the status of the NRPE daemon on the remote
end.  You need to use NRPE on the remote end to invoke your
check_wadmin test.

So, on your Nagios server, you need to set the command_line for the
check_wadmin command to something like:

$USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_wadmin

$USER1$
^^^^^^^ The path to your local plugins (on the Nagios server)

        check_nrpe
        ^^^^^^^^^^ Need to use check_nrpe to check the command on the
                   remote host

                   -H $HOSTADDRESS$
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What host to check

                                     -c check_wadmin
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What command to
                                                    run *ON THE
                                                    REMOTE HOST*

NRPE only allows you to run plugins designed to be local-only on
a remote system.  You need to tell it *what* to run, and *how*
to run it.

Benny

--
"Because you have arms like noodles, while I am vigorous and
burly."                               -- Hodgins, "Bones"