check_procs high frequency "Plugin timed out after 10 seconds"

Watanabe, Kazuo deep.sea.odyssey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 08:01:40 CEST 2010

Hi,
I am using check_procs for crond processes monitoring via NRPE.
The plugin has been reporting "Plugin timed out after 10 senconds" many
times.
Sometimes OK, Sometimes above.

The target system resource: no high load
The crond process: working normally
Checking ps command manually: showing crond process normally
Other monitoring: CPU, MEM, DISK works well
Other machines using same plugin: no problem
Error log: I could not find any error log

The target machine
OS: RHEL3 x86
Kernel: 2.4.21-20.ELsmp
Nrpe: 1.2.5
Plugin: check_procs v1758 (nagios-plugins 1.4.11)
nrpe.cfg: check_procs -c 1:10 -a crond
normal check interval: 5min
max retry attempt: 3
retry check interval: 5min

I would like to know what is the root cause and the solution for this
situation.

Regards.
Kaz