Large NDO Table

Breandan Dezendorf breandan at dezendorf.com
Wed Sep 15 17:48:50 CEST 2010

The NDO tables nagios_host_contactgroups and
nagios_service_contactgroups have grown to an incredible size on my
nagios servers:

SELECT count(*) FROM nagios_host_contactgroups;
1230862

SELECT count(*) FROM nagios_service_contactgroups;
3310190

The indexes are in place - when I run a "SHOW CREATE TABLE
nagios_host_contactgroups", I get the following:

CREATE TABLE `nagios_host_contactgroups` (
  `host_contactgroup_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `instance_id` smallint(6) NOT NULL default '0',
  `host_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `contactgroup_object_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`host_contactgroup_id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `instance_id` (`host_id`,`contactgroup_object_id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=2905453 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
COMMENT='Host contact groups';

There are similar UNIQUE KEYs on nagios_service_contactgroups.

Should I be worried about the size of the table?  I'm trying to do
anything I can to speed up the database operations and limit database
size.  I'm running Nagios 3.0.6 and NDO 1.4b9.  We have 109 contacts
defined in the system, 1900+ hosts and 5000+ services.  I've already
tuned the trim option for nagios_externalcommands and
nagios_logentries down to 30 minutes, for what it's worth, as we
mostly use the NDO data for a front end package we developed in-house.

--
Breandan Dezendorf
breandan at dezendorf.com
bwdezend at gmail.com