Nagios plain files vs database storage

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Sep 15 12:49:04 CEST 2010

C. Bensend wrote:
> Hmmmmm...  I've been running b9 for a year now, and I haven't
> noticed any issues.  What is the nature of these issues that
> you mention?  Just because I haven't noticed doesn't mean
> something bad isn't happening to my data...

depends on your data being processed. duplicate rows bug in
servicechecks table e.g. affects historical data processing afterwards.
try a

mysql> show create table nagios_servicechecks;

and check if the unique keys are set correctly. the other way around,
try selecting several rows from that table, and check for
start_time/end_time being zero. 2 rows having the unique keys

(`instance_id`,`service_object_id`,`start_time`,`start_time_usec`)

or only one row?

another patch regarding customvariables config is in cvs but never got released. basically ndo2db segfaults because of a too small defined array for inserting/updating custom variables configuration (this only happens if you dump config and use custom vars).

some other changes which affect performance like binary casting for case sensitive compares are also there. so if you don't need ssl over tcp, reports for 1.4b7 are just more fine then.

read further on that thread: http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg32793.html

Kind regards,
Michael

PS: The proposed patch for the duplicated rows is rather small. but it can't be applied on existing installations as mysql will complain about unique constraint violation of existing data then. but at least patching that for fresh installs would generate more benefit.

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at